Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Paper Vineyard Stampendous Challenge

Just a quick, partial post to share a Stampendous image I colored last night.  I haven't made the card part yet. 

One thing that has been such a help when I color is to find a real life image similar to my stamped image and use it as a reference.  I was very lucky to have just such a photo in my photo album.  On a visit to California in 2009, Mel & I stayed with some friends that took us to some wine tastings.  I handed my camera over to Sammy, their 9 year old daughter, and she got some AMAZING shots.  I love handing the camera to a kid.  You really do get images you would never have thought of.  Here's Sammy's photo.  Pretty awesome right??!

I love how strongly & clearly you can see the sunlight.  I love the colors that you see in the grapes.  However, with the light showing on the right side it wasn't perfect for the image I needed to color.


This is the Grape Vines image from Stampendous.

The artist is telling me that this image is darker on the right side.  How do I know this?  It's the lines that the artist has added on the grapes, all on the right side.  So what to do?

I flipped the image on the computer.  :)    Viola! Now I have the perfect image to help me color.












       Here's my colored image.








This image was a challenge because of the deeper tones in the grapes.  How to get that beautiful dark color with out just having dark blobs?  My answer was layering.  This is where Copics really outperform any other marker.
                                                   
              Here are the colors I used





I really am looking forward to coloring this a couple more times.  And can you imagine this done on shrink plastic to create a wine charm??  Put that on my to do list!

4 comments:

  1. I almost picked this stamp. But I know I couldn't have done it the justice that you have. I love this! And the idea of a wine charm is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful - I grew up in grape country; makes me want to reach for a grape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loveeeee those photos and your grapes!! GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):) PS... read Crate's blog today... pretty exciting stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ROCKED those grapes.... I WANT SOME!!!! No, I mean it, you NEED to share that stamp! hahahahahaha! LOL!

    ReplyDelete