Saturday, January 1, 2011

What an end to '10!!

If it's any indication of what's ahead it's gonna be GOOD!  Better than good actually, GREAT!

Mel had a NYE gig at Toby Keith's I Love This Bar in Mesa.  We had a fabu dinner with some amazing friends at Cucina Tagliani.  Our first time there and the food was fabulous.  The time spent with friends and conversation was even better. 

About 9ish we all left to head to the gig.  I had been going back and forth about if I wanted to go or not.  And even remembered to bring my camera.

Hanging out in the backstage area watching the opening band, The Stephanie Eason Band.  I'm not into country but she was really amazing.  Tiny little thing with a huge voice!  If you have an interest in country I'd recommend checking them out if they're anywhere near you.  I doubt you'll be able to get that close for much longer!

Out of the blue, the side door opens and a ton of people start piling in.  And clogging up the area.  Weird.  After a few minutes I figure it's time for me to find out what's going on.  Thankfully I'd just left my camera case/purse in the green room.  Head for the door, slithering between several very large, alert men.  Look at the manager and ask "What the hell's going on?"  Thankfully not at the top of my lungs which would be typical.  And thankfully I'm quick.  I saw the expression on his face.  Quick look behind me.  And I just said "I came to get my purse."  Snag it off the couch and head back out.

And waste NO time telling my friend that Toby Keith was in there talking with the lead singer.  And then watch as the rest of the guys in the band are informed that they'll be playing with Toby to open the show! 

I headed to the front of the stage area where the Regulators had already taken up their posts.  Get a good spot front and center.  Not a surprise at all if you've ever been with me to a Caroline's Spine or Stumbles concert!  What followed was crazy!  Pushing, shoving, someone's boobs imprinted into my spine.  And that was before Toby even came out!  For 30 minutes Mel was Toby's band leader.  Letting the rest of the guys know what song was next - and how to play them since several were ones they'd NEVER played!  By the end of the 1/2 hour set I'd taken 210 photos!  Here are a couple of our favorites.

Toby with Nick, Tim & Jeff

Toby & Mel

Toby & Mel - cheesing it up

Toby & Mel

Toby & Mel

Toby & Richie

Toby & Richie

Toby & Tim

Toby & Nick

Toby & Mel

Toby with Mel, Tim and Jeff

Happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. I have the coolest brother ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny!!! And how weird is it that Toby Keith was dressed up in snow gear but no one else was.... it WAS cold, but this is Arizona. That's like sacrilege to be dressed like that here cowboy! JK-LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooooooooooo cool!! I bow down to Krista and Mel!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Some New Years ! Toby just puts the finishing touches on everything he does.
    Great surprise ! Toby always dresses for the weather, remember he is from Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete