Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's Hip to be Square!!

I was asked to participate in a "Hip to be Square" blog event hosted by Lisa Swift, Remember The Good Times.  I was so delighted by this because it gave me just the push I needed to create a layout using my "handmade/stitched" paper.  All the details of my "handmade/stitched" paper can be found here.

Here's the layout.  I'll share some details about it after the photos.
Because my background paper was so busy I wanted to make sure my photo was large enough to not be overwhelmed.  I also tried to keep the embellishments to a minimum so the focus stayed with the photo.  This is a favorite of mine from the Friday night, casual get together we had.  Julie, on the left, Kelly, on the right, and I were like the three musketeers in high school.  Constantly at each other's house, wearing each other's clothes and just generally having a good time together.  This picture reminds me of that.
I created a tag to put my journaling on.  I hadn't quite decided what I wanted to say yet so it's still blank.  The tag slides in behind the photo to the backside of the layout.  This is for several reasons: 1) I didn't decide I wanted to add a tag until after I'd already adhered the photo down and 2) it was the only place or way left to add a tag after I'd adhered the photo.

Here's how I did it:  - lick and close my envelope
- measured the width of the envelope on the front of the layout and used a craft knife to cut a slit just a little bit larger
- trim off a portion of the envelope so it was as long as I wanted
- adhere the envelope on back of layout so the open end lines up with the slit in the layout
- to make sure there was additional strength as well as to make sure there wouldn't be any issues when taking out & inserting my tag I also added some scotch tape near the slit and on the sides.
- I also made my tag out of chipboard for extra sturdiness

If you'd like to see more "handmade/stitched paper" check out my blog post on Oct 16.

Supplies: Crate Paper 6x6 Paper Heart Collection pad, Core'dinations cardstock, Making Memories rub ons, Heidi Grace designs/Fiskars paper flower W/ brad, 7 Gypsies chipboard letters, Spellbinders dies for labels, washi tape unknown, Ranger TH Distress Ink

1 comment:

  1. Sooooooo love how you made this paper and love love loveeeeee your lo!!! Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete