How about catching up on some extremely overdue design team challenges?? I was hopeful that having parameters to stay within would jump start my mojo. With that idea in mine, I actually created 2 layouts last night and am really happy with them.
Here's the first sketch I worked with:
I chose to turn it upside down and came up with this:
Sorry for the washed out look. I took it outside to photograph. It's brighter in real life. :)
One thing that I really liked about taking on this challenge is that I actually created layouts!! It's been such a long time since I've done that. And I made my first Kaytey layout. How can you not love that face??
- With so many colors in the smaller photos, I elected to highlight the colors in the large, focal photo and not worry about the others.
- I zig zag stitched each layer of patterned paper and cardstock together for texture and small pops of each color.
- I like how the ribbon on the heart and the photo help tie (punny, huh?) the two together and helped move your eye thru the layout.
Supplies: Cardstock - Core'dinations, Bazzil, Patterned Paper - KI Memories (Sweet Life collection), Ribbon - Offray, Chipboard Heart - Jenni Bowlin Studios, Small letters - Prima, Large Letters - QK Blossom cut from PTI coaster baord, Tiny Tags - American Tag Co, Paint - Delta, Safety Pin - UNK
Here's the second sketch:
and the results:
My first derby layout!! These photos are from the day I broke my ankle, obviously BEFORE I broke it. :) I love this shot of Mel, Bret & I. I've already said this could be our Christmas card photo this year and it was only February! The other pictures show me (upper left) blocking the jammer, (upper right) delivering a good hit and knocking the jammer down and (lower left) hanging in with one of the guys on the track.
A few things to note about my version of the sketch:
- I opted to change the sizes of my photos a little to better fit the pictures I had
- Create your own embellishments. Yep, we've heard this for ages but sometimes we forget about it. And creating your own embellishments doesn't have to be involved or complicated. For example - the two "tapes" I created for this layout. The "Support Local Roller Derby" tissue tape was made with an image downloaded from the internet, adding a black border around it and then lining it up end to end. I used white tissue and double sided tape and printed the image onto it. You can find the tutorial that inspired me here. There are so many possibilities for this.
- The other "tape" I created is the AZRD logo tape in the upper right corner. I lined it up the same way and simply printed it on cardstock. Neat touches that were simple, fast but had cool, personal impact.
- I die cut lots of little stars to create another custom tape look. To make it more interesting I popped them up on foam squares. Just a neat way to give some dimension to my "tape".
Supplies: Cardstock - Core'dinations, Bazzil, WorldWin, Title - Grapevine Designs, Patterned Paper - Fancy Pants, Die Cut Stars - Spellbinders, Quickutz, Rhinestones - Kaiserkraft, Labels - Dymo
You'll be able to see both of these in person at Paper Vineyard after the 24th. Join me for Copic Coloring that focuses on Pallet Blending that day. :)
Here's hoping this jump start is successful! I'm grabbing lunch and then I'm pulling out my markers!
Have a fabulous day!!